Saturday, October 16, 2010

"Back in the Saddle" - Featured Product Post




This summer my "sister" from Germany came back "home" to visit us for the summer. My Uncle arranged a horse-riding trip to the hills. We camped at Ya-ha-Tinda. It has been years and years since I've spent any time in the saddle, and years since Kerstin lived with us. It was a really great camping trip! There were more butterflies than mosquitoes! It felt really great to be out camping and riding with family again.



FEATURED PRODUCT!

Distress inks reg $6.50 featured at $5.25
To get the deal, please quote Distress Ink Feature in comments section of your order!





So, KIM and I have both been playing with Distress Inks this week because they are the feature product at Scrapbooker's Paradise. She says that she owns pretty much every colour and absolutely loves them... while, I have never actually used them before now!

It was a lot of fun to play with a few! I can definitely see why
she bought so many. The colours are really great, and it is so cool how they've been made to react with water!! I decided that they'd be really great to use for one of my camping layouts because they make such a great 'aged' effect.




MATERIALS USED:

"StarLight" 12x12 paper by Karen Foster
Roughin' It paper by Bo Bunny
Rose Ribbon (sold in store by the yard)
Cosmo Cricket Tiny Type Alpha Stickers
American Crafts Fabric Letter Stickers
Prima "Chocolate" Pearls & Crystals
EK Success - Jolee's By You - Cowboy Boots
8x11 Cardstock (1 sheet "Pinecone" and 2 sheets of an off-White colour)
Tim Holtz - Ranger Distress Ink - Faded Jeans
Tim Holtz - Ranger Distress Ink - Vintage Photo
Tim Holtz - Ranger Distress Ink - Tea Dye


So, to get that distressed/aged look on my cardstock. I took some off-white cardstock, crumpled it all up, and then ran my distress ink over the raised areas. I laid the paper down on my desk and spritzed it with water. The water reacts with the ink in these Distressed Inks in a really cool way. I then got out my iron and ironed the paper so it was dry and flat again.

If you don't have a designated craft iron, just put your page between two pieces of paper so that the distress ink doesn't get on the iron. Your husband's white dress shirts will thank you.

I did this a few times with the paper with the two brownish colours of ink. I allowed it to tear in the most worn parts of the paper and then added the blue ink to those areas especially. Once the paper was how I liked it and all dry, I used it on my layout just like any paper.

I also used a tag from my husband's new jeans and sanded most of the text off it. I then used the "vintage photo" brown colour distress ink and lightly went over the edges and whatnot. I spritzed it with water and then ironed it to dry it. I used it on the layout and stuck my title alpha stickers to it.


This is just one way you can use the Distress Inks from Tim Holtz! There are so many super-cool applications. I suggest you buy a few colours and start playing!!


FEATURED PRODUCT!

Distress inks reg $6.50 featured at $5.25
To get the deal, please quote Distress Ink Feature in comments section of your order!







Check out Kim's Blog to see what she did with Distress Inks

...and don't forget to follow Scrapbooker's Paradise Blog for some inspiration and to learn about our new products at the store, get awesome deals, and see really cool applications for our latest and greatest products!!

3 comments:

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Fun page and great story! Love the weathered, almost leather look you got with the Distress Inks! It works perfectly with your theme.

Stampin Kimber said...

Love what you did with the distress inks.......and your layout is amazing!!! What a great idea to use the tag from your hubby's jeans.

Sparkly Pink Star said...

Awesome page...glad you like the distress inks, I am slowly collecting them too!