Friday, August 12, 2011

"Love You More" by Jennifer Grant - Book Review

A completely honest book, "Love You More" by Jennifer Grant tells the story of the international adoption of their fourth child, Mia, from Guatemala. Broken into three different parts and further into fifteen chapters, this book covers much of the author's life story and mom-hood, her thoughts on adoption, her religious views and belief system, and the events and process of adopting her daughter, her daughter's homecoming and the trials and successes of grafting her into their family tree.


I don't read a lot of memoir-type books, and I haven't really read much of anything pertaining to adoption, so, this story was a first for me. I enjoyed Jennifer Grant's personality that shone through on every page of the book. She was so honest and relatable in her writing that I almost felt like I had made a new BFF by the time I finished reading the book. She has some really great insights. Her anecdotes and random tangents are cute and really help connect the reader to the story, although sometimes they are a little awkwardly worked into the book.






I held the page in front of her and she looked at it, silently, for a very long time.

"I miss her so much," she said, beginning to cry. I pulled her close to me and told her it was all right. She hugged me and then turned again to the page, eyes locking on the image.

"Love You More" by Jennifer Grant


I am not sure how old Mia was, I think she was possibly 3 or 4 years old. It is hard to tell, because, though the book is generally written in chronological order, often, the Grant jumps back and forth in her anecdotes and memories, as if writing exactly her thought process at the time. In any case, I was particularly touched by this part of Jennifer Grant's story where Mia starts asking about her "tummy lady" and see's what her birth mom looked like for the first time.





I really like that there are a lot of resources, notes and even tips at the back of the book for those who are possibly looking at adopting. Although, I am not one who is looking at adopting a child, I found this book insightful, heart-wrenching at times, and even relatable just in the fact that I am a mother. I appreciate how transparent and vulnerable Jennifer Grant allows herself to be in this book, and enjoyed her incorporation of some of her more learned explanations, like her use of the red thread from Chinese folklore to explain her feelings about their connection to Mia before they even adopted her.

At times the book was a little repetitive and the author's reminiscence perhaps poorly incorporated into the point of a particular section, however, it was a good read. I read the entire book in one sitting, not wanting to put it down. I definitely recommend it!


I review for BookSneeze®

1 comment:

keri said...

Great review. I read this book and loved it. I feel we can learn so much from other parents' experiences, even if they are not exactly the same as our own. Her honest, humorous stories made me laugh and cry. it's a great resource for any parent, especially those considering adoption or even foster parenting.