Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Very Patterned Purple Quilt



So, my niece loves the colour purple. I started collecting purple fabrics around this time last year for a quilt for her. This last spring I made her a quilt for her birthday. It was the largest thing I've sewn as I've only done baby-sized quilts before this. I had gotten a little crazy with the abundance of different patterns I collected, too, so it was quite an adventure to fit it all together. 


 


 






When I was little, I had a quilt that my mom and grandma made together that had all sorts of different little patches on it of different patterns and fabrics and I absolutely adored it. As a child, my imagination was sparked by the different landscapes and worlds each patch could represent and loved to play with my little plastic horses and people on my bed. So, I wanted to have lots of patches in this quilt.

I made a number of mistakes and the fuchsia fabric was incredibly finicky to work with (here I thought it was the same 100% cotton as everything else but it sure didn't act like it!!!) and kept making things difficult, but in the end I was pretty happy with the outcome even if it was a little more pink than purple.

Sewing is still really new to me and it is all self-taught for the most part, so I really don't have a clue, but hopefully I get better with every project I take on.

2 comments:

NickelNook said...

It's beautiful, Sara! What a fabulous gift from the heart! As with all things...practice makes perfect! Yay for you! It's good to see a new post from you...I hope all is well!...Nancy :o)

Jules said...

I love the quilt! Don's mom is an award winning quilter. Quilts fascinate me. :)