Sunday, February 17, 2013

Healthy Cookies???

I kind of feel like I've punkd my kids.



Four ripe bananas mashed to smithereens, two cups of oatmeal, a dash of cinnamon, and a handful of chocolate chips... put it in the oven at 350 on a well-greased cookie sheet for ten minutes and you've got yourself a batch of cookies everyone loves and no one has to regret eating!

The only hard thing about these cookies is trying to keep them from disappearing.

Thank you to Lauren over at The Burlap Bag for this fantastic little secret recipe.










I wanted to try out this recipe today, but we were out of bananas. I can't seem to keep bananas in our house. They are like a main staple. You know how when you hit the grocery store, there's always certain things you get? Perhaps milk and eggs and bread? For us, it is milk and bananas. Anyhow, I found this interested Peanut Butter Banana Oat Breakfast Cookie recipe that I wanted to try, but I was out of bananas.

So, instead, I concocted this random... thing.

The result is QUITE good, though. Perhaps, though, that was because I had really low expectations being that this was a random experiment.


I used about three cups of instant Omega-3 oatmeal, maybe a cup of peanut butter, probably about two cups of applesauce, and a cup of flour. I also put in nutmeg and cinnamon, chopped dried apricots, almond slivers, and a handful of chocolate chips (to lure the children into a false sense of security, mwahahah). I wasn't measuring anything, so I am not certain what measurements to use. I just put more oatmeal or applesauce in to make it a cookie-dough-like consistency.







I baked them on a greased cookie sheet in the oven at 350'F for about ten minutes. They turned out really tasty and filling. They give you that home-baked, comfort food satisfaction but with a lot less guilt.


So, yeah, there's three recipes for ya to mess around with in your kitchen. Some healthy cookie-like shenanigans to keep your belly filled.

2 comments:

Cindy D. said...

I did not try the second concoction with the applesauce, but we did make those banana-oat cookies! They took a lot longer to cook than 10 minutes - maybe half an hour. Or maybe we cooked them too long? NO matter, they all got eaten up. Hooray! It really is very cool to make cookies with so few (and not so terrible!) ingredients. :)

Sara said...

hey Cindy! I'm not sure why it took so long for it to bake for you... perhaps it depends on the kind of oats used? I'm glad they were tasty for you, though! :D