Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Our Space Unit!

Jayden and I are making a little book filled with all the things he is learning about space! I had some space themed scrapbook paper that we used for the cover and we are filling the inside with all sorts of things. I've found quite a lot of free printables online which is great, as well as ideas for our own little projects to add in, and lots of informative websites. I didn't think to bookmark ALL the sites so that I could list them all here for you guys, but I have a few listed below.



Today, we learned about the moon's phases. Last week we learned about all the planets and their order in our solar system. We also learned about the sun and how it gives us heat and energy and light and whatnot. We talked a little about gravitational pull and orbits. We learned about sundials and I took that as an opportunity to teach him roman numerals in math. It is connected if you look hard enough, I promise. So, yeah, anyway, today we learned about the moon's phases...



I printed out this free worksheet that shows the eight different phases of the moon that Jayden and Alysha coloured. There are a lot of similar worksheets and posters and things available on the net on this topic. Then, after we coloured in the moons on that sheet, we used them as a guide on how to cut our oreo cookies to make this...




There are two space monsters are eating the earth and its moon! Oh no!





Anyhow! This has been an update on our little space unit! Tomorrow we will be talking about stars and constellations. We will go out on a little 'field trip' tomorrow night to have a look at the stars, too. Below are some photos from last week when we were talking about the earth orbiting the sun...







Thanks for dropping by! Here are some links to different printables I used and blogs with other cool space unit ideas...

No comments: